Friday 20 January 2012

How to Train your Dragon Series

Hello people of the internet!

First off, I just want to thank the people who have joined my blog so early into it's run. Love the feedback and glad you guys are there to support me. A special thanks to Olivia who has kindly advertised my blog on her blog. Means a lot!

This post is on "How to Train your Dragon", a series that grew my love of reading at an early age. I can't remember how I first got my tiny little hands on them, but I have been buying book after book ever since. Since then, the books have become popular enough to be made into a movie. (I have noticed this a lot with the books I have read.) The movie does not fit some of the descriptions that are mentioned in the books, but they keep major character names.

How to Train your Dragon

Author: Cressida Cowell
Books: 9 (so far)
Rating: 8
Ages: 7-12
Size: medium
Genre: Comical, light Fantasy

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a viking. He is son of Stoick the Vast, the leader of the Hairy Hooligans. Hiccup has to live with being a disappointment to his father. Hiccup is not strong, rude or coordinated, but he does have a few specialities. Hiccup is rather intelligent and can also speak the language of dragons, dragonese. This allows him to communicate with many dragons including his small, common hunting dragon named Toothless. As his name suggests, Toothless has no teeth and is regarded as pathetic by other hunting dragons. Along with Fishlegs, his wimpy friend, and Toothless, Hiccup gets into all types of trouble. Sometimes, jeopardising his entire tribe. Hiccup's only goal is to make it through adolescence... alive.

This series is extremely funny. I know my age recommendation is low, but I really think that the humour in this book would still be appreciated by a slightly older audience. Let me put it this way, I still read the series!

I was slightly disappointed by one major change in the movie. In the books, Toothless is this pathetic, harmless little green dragon. In the movie, he is the huge, deadly dragon, feared by the whole tribe. This removes some of the comical pieces related to Toothless's size. Another bummer, in the movie, Toothless has teeth! That just bothers me.

The characters are hilarious, the plot intriguing, and illustrations amusing. I can't get enough of this series!

2 comments:

  1. You need to read The Hunger Games and then do an epic review and then reade Twilight and do a terrible review. Got it? Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read the hunger games and will to a report on them at some point. I will NOT do a Twilight review because I don't intend to read it.

    ReplyDelete